Tuesday 28 October 2014

Tutorial Tuesday: Halloween Chevrons

With 3 days to go until Halloween, my first 'Tutorial Tuesday' is chevrons with a Halloween colour scheme. 

For this mani, along with my usual base of OPI's Matte Nail Envy and INM's Out The Door topcoat I used Rio Nail Art Polish in White, OPI in A Great Affair, Barry M in Block Orange, Revlon in Lime Basil (swatched here) and Rimmel in Black Cab. The colours bled quite a lot because I didn't let them fully dry before using a topcoat, so I'd suggest leaving it as long as you can before sealing your design.



Step 1: The Base. For the base, I used one coat of white and let it fully dry, so that the vinyls wouldn't pull off any of the polish later on. 

Step 2: The Vinyls. For this design, I used skinny chevrons in the She Sells Seashells chevron variety pack. There were 4 colours in my design, so I used 3 vinyls on each nail to make 4 sections and I tried to make even sections to get the best result.



Step 3: The Painting. Paint each nail with a black, purple, orange and green section. I altered the colour order on every nail to change it up a bit, as opposed to having a uniform design across my 10 nails (yes, I always do ALL 10 nails, unless it's a swatch) As you paint, remove the corresponding vinyls to get the sharpest lines possible. When I remove the vinyls, I follow the zig-zag with the tweezers to ensure a perfect pattern. 


Step 4: Clean-up and Topcoat. I clean-up around my nails with my Wilko eyeliner brush. I have both the houndstooth and chevron brushes and keep them in different parts of my house so I always have one handy. Leave your nails for as long as possible before sealing your design with the topcoat, so that your colours don't bleed like mine did. 


And you're done! This was one of the more simple Halloween designs I've done, I haven't decided on my nails for Friday yet but I will post them next week. Next week's tutorial is again Halloween themed- even though the day will have passed, you can come back to it next year! 


No comments:

Post a Comment