Sunday 2 November 2014

My Collection: Gel Effect Polishes

It's that time again where you get to see some of my nail polish collection. This week is gel effect polishes. I only own Barry M Gellys and Nails Inc Gel Effects and I have nowhere near the full collection of either. I'm hoping for some of both for my birthday though so maybe one day I'll be the proud owner of the full collections! I've swatched each polish alongside another 'regular' polish of a similar colour in order to show the difference between those and the gels. Note: The index and middle are the regular polish, the ring and pinky are the gel. All polishes are 2 coats with topcoat.

First up, Nails Inc West End. I paired it with Rimmel Redder Than Red. The gel is more opaque and takes a bit longer to dry, but it gives more shine than the regular polish. However, these are similar colours, so if you're on a budget and looking for the 'perfect red', go for the Rimmel and use 3 coats. 


Now for my only other Nails Inc Gel Effect- Soho Place. I paired this one with Barry M's Mint Green, which is a lighter mint than the gel. Again, the gel is more opaque, but this one takes around the same time to dry as the regular polish. I will use these both depending on my design (or maybe even together one day) as they are different shades of mint, unlike the red swatch above. 


The next 8 swatches are of my Barry M Gellys, starting with Chilli. This colour is perfect for A/W, but I think I'll also use it for nail art throughout the rest of the year. I paired this one with Nina's Cherri Berri - it was the nearest red I had to this colour. I'll definitely be using this a lot as it's the only polish I have in this sort of colour and I love how it looks.


Next up, Barry M's Blue Grape. The polish I had closest to this stunning blue was Nails Inc's Baker Street. This was one of the first Gellys I bought, on holiday in Yarmouth when they first came out. Again, it is different to anything else I own and I use it quite a lot, but overtime it's gone a bit gloopy despite using Seche Restore so I can't use it as freely as I used to- I may even re-purchase this once it becomes unusable. Even though the Gelly is darker, it takes about the same time to dry due to the consistency of the formula in my bottle- but it did used to dry a bit faster so a new bottle should dry in about the same time as a regular polish. 

Another of the newer Barry M's is Chai. This is a gorgeous mid-grey polish that I bought in my latest Barry M haul and it instantly caught my eye. I originally bought this purely for nail art, but I love it so much that I'm definitely going to be wearing it alone a lot. The polish I compared it to is Nails Inc's The Thames (my first Nails Inc), which is a few shades darker than the Gelly but just as gorgeous. The Gelly takes a bit longer to dry because it is a lighter shade, but as with the others the shine is amazing so it's worth the wait. 


Next is Barry M's Green Berry, which I've paired with Ciate's Pepperminty. This Gelly was one I also bought when they first came out because it's the perfect summer colour. It's brighter than any other mint polish I own, with more green tones- the majority of my others are blue or grey toned. I will definitely be re-purchasing this once it runs out because it's my favourite Gelly and my favourite mint polish.


Up next is Barry M's Papaya. I swatched this polish alongside Essie's Tart Deco which is very similar, just more pastel compared to Papaya's more orange tones. As with the others, the Gelly is more opaque but only just, I'd wear both with just the 2 coats. This is another of my favourites, especially as I got it for free in a nail mail- free polish is the best polish in my eyes. I won't be using this as much this season but it will definitely be coming out in the spring and I'll use it all the way through to this time next year. 


This next polish is an exact dupe of the one I swatched it with. The Gelly is Barry M's Dragon Fruit and the regular polish is Leighton Denny's Pink Promenade. They are pretty much the same colour, and even have the same shimmer in them (which is more obvious in the bottles than on the nail). The Gelly £3.99 is obviously cheaper than the LD £11, unless you get the LD on offer like I did in a set of 3 from TKMaxx for a tenner (bargain). I love both, but the LD dries that little bit faster as it is a regular polish and not a gel effect. Saying that, I use the Barry M more because it goes on easier and gives thicker and more even coats. 


Next up is Barry M's Prickly Pear. I paired this with Barry M's 'regular' lilac- Berry Ice Cream so that you can see the difference between 2 shades of the same brand. The Gelly is lighter and duller than the regular polish, but I prefer the Gellys when it comes to pastels as they are more opaque. The regular polish dries slightly faster than the Gelly, but I love both just as much. I change these up depending on the design I'm doing- the Gelly is better as a base colour or for ombre, but the regular polish is better for nail art as it doesn't get as gloopy. 


The last in my Gelly collection is Barry M's Elderberry. I paired it with what I thought was a similar colour when I looked at the bottles- OPI's Even Royals Get The Blues. Both polishes have a grey tone to them, and in the artificial light they looked similar. However, when I woke up and went to take a picture, I realised the OPI is a lot darker. The OPI dries quicker, but I like the colour of the Gelly more. Additionally, the OPI is a mini so I prefer the brush that the Gelly has, but both are gorgeous colours. 






No comments:

Post a Comment